What secrets lay beneath

As a result of all that stripping (oh la la!) we noticed that there were VERY large portions of original plaster “missing”. In fact, the plaster had broken down over time and it was only the chipboard wallpaper that was holding our walls together. Let this be a warning to those who stick their noses where they shouldn’t! So in addition to stripping wallpaper, my partner in crime also had to lug an inordinate amount of rubble to the skip, sat permanently in our front yard. You can see by looking at the photos, that we took everything back to the original brick work. It was a job indeed! SONY DSCAnd look at all that dust! I was actually put on asthma medicine for the majority of the build, so if you have sensitive lungs be careful! No matter how much hoovering and sweeping you do, there will be dust, everywhere! SONY DSCThe photo above shows the former chimney wall, which I can talk about in another post. You can also see my fancy Ikea step-stool (built myself) which has actually proved to be an invaluable resource during the build. Oh and the lovely Victorian fireplace which now has a new home! SONY DSCOld wallpaper and stone… a renovators nightmare! IMG_3335And then we turned our walls a lovely smurf blue!

One thing I didn’t know was that in order to apply the new plasterboard, the old walls had to be bonded. In this instance our binder used blue PVA and tales now abound around the neighbourhood of the smurf builder… IMG_3338It was quite shocking to come home to blue walls, I will say that! But then again, nothing about this build hasn’t shocked me…

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s