Breaking ground!

For our build, the work started outdoors first, with minimal initial disruption. The plan as it was explained to us was to take down the dividing wall between our property and our neighbors (ours being terraced). Once this had been removed, the builders would be able to then dig the holes to lay the foundations for the extension. All fairly straightforward, right?

SONY DSC

Look at how awful that wall is! It’s only saving grace was that it used to home a family of blackbirds, but they have long since departed.

SONY DSC

And the walls came tumbling down…

DSC01018.JPG

Look at that pebble dash! So “dashing” isn’t it?

Unsurprisingly, taking down the wall took two builders two days. We also came across some unexpected surprises inside the wall including steel rebar at the base and a cable that extended from my neighbors home all the way to his shed. Already some small things were cropping up.

The next issue we found was that the proposed depth for the foundations was not going to be deep enough and this was because of… our neighbors bay tree. Of all things! The roots of this small minor tree had crept into our backyard and both our builder and building control felt that they had the potential to destabilize our foundations. So, another meter deeper we went!

IMG_2538

Dig, baby, dig.

Now the biggest issue of all has been that silly little soil pipe you can see sticking out of the soil in the above photo. This soil pipe has actually been a huge sticking point throughout the design process and the build, as it meant that we couldn’t extend back as far as we wanted. If we had gone further back we would have had to have special permissions from the council and likely had some kind of visible rodding point within our new extension. In fact, at one point it was proposed that we have a manhole cover in our new kitchen. Can you imagine?!

IMG_2541

All that earth has to go somewhere, right?!

One thing we hadn’t taken into account was the amount of waste that would be generated as a result of the work being done. All that earth was just the first of many, many skips to be hauled away.

SONY DSC

06/04/2017!

And then after all that work (about two weeks worth), it was simply covered with cement and left to dry. We were on our way!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s