So… I think the ONLY thing I’ve learned through this entire process is that building a home is really expensive! Even little plastic storage boxes are expensive. We’re running up a nice and hefty credit card bill at the moment and it freaking sucks. At the same time, there are just things that we still need. When we moved in together several years ago neither of us brought a lot of furniture with us and we’ve held off buying anything substantial, knowing we would need to furnish the house in its entirety.Continue reading “Go on, put your feet up”
I’ve been a busy bunny, looking to fill the house with odds and ends now that we’re FINALLY getting to decorate. And I can’t, for the life of me, stay serious. It’s not in my nature. So why should my house be serious?! Instead… I’m bringing in the whimsy! I’ve included the links below, in case you want to ditch your serious side as well!Continue reading “Objects of desire”
In my post regarding some of the plaster corrections we had made, I shared a few snaps of the kitchen. This post is all about that kitchen though, so get ready!
We were recommended this kitchen company by our builders and were assured that we would be overjoyed with the end result. We went to a few other providers for quotes (Ridgeons, B&Q, Howdens), but we liked the cabinets Parker Rose supplied and tentatively decided we would go with them.Continue reading “Whatcha got cooking?”
While it might sound strange, one of the spaces I’m most excited about designing is the entryway to our home! While not for everyone and sometimes overlooked, I think the entryway should make a statement. We’ve picked some Victorian-style tiles, we’re prepping the Stiffkey blue for the walls, we’ve chosen the new skirtings, and we’re looking at a lovely kilim runner. Now, all we need is a sleek little console table (and the curio’s to go on top). I honestly can’t wait until Mr Perfect has somewhere to put his keys that isn’t “the first place I see”.Continue reading “Small Console-ation”
When we started to think about the interior design of the space we went back and forth on our “style”. I’m a bit more traditional (I love a shaker kitchen) and Mr Perfect is more modern so compromising was essential. That said, one style we can agree on is Mid-century modern. I realise mid-century is very “in” at the moment and I’m keen to create a space that will be timeless, rather than needing updating with the trends du jour. I figured distinct pieces that nod to mid-century elements, dispersed throughout the house would be a good place to start. And the first purchase we were looking to make was for a “Sputnik” chandelier in our hallway.Continue reading “Mid-century mood-lighting”
One of the things I am most excited about is having a sofa downstairs that I can curl up on when the weather is foul and the other half is out at the pub (not that he’s out that often, making me time all the more precious). But since we moved in three long years ago we’ve been living in our bedroom, which doesn’t exactly accommodate a sofa. Yes, we’ve spent 90% of our time in the bedroom and the other 10% in what was our kitchen. It’s a good thing we love each other, otherwise, I don’t think we would have lasted this long! And I digress…
Long before it was trendy, I wanted a velvet sofa. I didn’t know what colour I wanted or any of the specifics, but I knew I wanted something soft and luxurious I could sink into at the end of a long day. Living in Cambridge and commuting into London for works makes for a tiring week and downtime is precious to me. But while luxury was top of mind, so was the cost and let’s say I have champagne taste on a beer budget! Keen to start thinking about how we were going to design the space, I settled on a midnight blue and pulled together an inspiration board …
Once I started looking for actual sofas, I obviously fell in love with was this number one stunner (below) from the Conran Shop, but at a whopping £10,919 (when last I checked) it was well out of my league. Back to square one, right? But just look at those lines and those legs. Sleek, chic and everything I wanted a sofa to be.Continue reading “Swoon-worthy sofas”
In my previous post, I mentioned that the plastering had gone terribly awry. While I didn’t go into specifics, you’re in for a treat now. One of, if not the biggest issue was the new kitchen ceiling. As said, in an older building you expect some wobbly lines but in a brand new space to have a sloped ceiling is completely unacceptable.
When measured, the kitchen ceiling was 2 inches out. So if you look at those wooden slats they are thicker towards the kitchen cabinets and they then thin out. This was to compensate for the slanted ceiling. It’s rather extraordinary in my opinion, that a new space could be so badly constructed. After the slats had been carefully measured, the end result was a new ceiling. Again. Continue reading “The corrections”